“The importance and need of our receiving the Baptism in the Spirit shortly after conversion is shown by the following:
- God has provided it.
- Jesus Himself received it.
- He commanded His disciples not to proceed without it.
- All His disciples did receive it, as well as His mother and His brethren.
- It effected the conversion of 3,000 on the day of Pentecost.
- It enabled the apostles to full Jerusalem with their doctrine.
- It enabled them to perform supernatural signs and wonders.
- It enabled them to carry the Gospel to every creature of their generation. Col. 1:23.
- They were careful to lead their converts into the same place of power. Acts 8:14, 15, etc.
- Christ commands all believers to be filled with the Spirit. Matt. 28:20; Eph. 5:18.
For these reasons, we declare, no Christian should neglect to receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit.
Source: Ralph M. Riggs, The Spirit Himself (1949), The Baptism in the Holy Spirit – Its Nature and Importance, Its Importance, p. 82-83.